To fight these viruses and other unseen upcoming viruses the world needs Biotech engineers. Apart from assisting scientist in developing vaccine to fight viruses the Biotech engineers are required in four major industrial areas including health care (medical), agriculture, waste treatment and food production.
Biotech engineers help in improving, expanding and developing bio processes from laboratory scale to the manufacturing scale.
The following are four among the many types of bioengineers found in the industry:
A BIOCHEMICAL DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER: Biochemical engineers combine knowledge of engineering, biology and chemistry to create products from raw materials and develop the processes for achieving this. They are responsible for the design and scale-up of processes, instruments, and equipment from the laboratory through the pilot plant and manufacturing process.
A MANUFACTURING ENGINEER: They are responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining methods, operation sequences, and processes in manufacturing.
A VALIDATION ENGINEER: As a validation engineer they are responsible for the calibration and validation of equipment and systems. They also assist in the specification, selection and negotiation of competitive pricing of equipment.
A QUALITY CONTROL ENGINEER: As a quality control engineer they are responsible for maintaining quality standards of a product.
Biotech engineers’ work activities involves the following…
1) Designing and constructing chemical and pharmaceutical plant.
2) Collaborating with scientists and other disciplines in the design and implementation of new products and production techniques.
3) Providing engineering services to manufacturing companies.
4) Working in production; modifying and optimizing production processes.
5) Maintaining production lines and machinery.